To most people who are familiar with the modern Western view and idea of medicine, the loss of kidney function is equal to losing the filter of the body and having a buildup of toxins in the blood of the body. Kidneys are seen by modern medicine to be the main area of the body responsible for removing toxins and harmful elements from the body. But in the method set forth in Traditional Chinese Medicine, losing kidney function is much more important than that and brings about severe consequences.
In ancient medical practices, the kidney represents the area of procreation and is the vitality center for all of the human body. It impacts clarity in thinking, controls the other systems of the body, and is seen as the center of growth and rejuvenation. This area of the body helps regulate the health of the fluids of the body such as blood, saliva, sperm, and so forth. The kidney and associated systems are believed to support healthy reproductive organs and material and is seen as being essential to the body’s overall healthy and youthful vitality.
Traditional Chinese Medicine teachings state that having weak or damaged kidneys can result in the following:
- Problems with overall growth and development- fertility issues, pregnancy and conception, and hormonal imbalances.
- Disorders that involve the body’s central nervous system- multiple sclerosis, cerebral palsy, muscular dystrophy and so forth.
- Diseases that attack the spinal column, nerves, bones, ligaments, muscles, and joints that cause pain, discomfort, stiffness, numbness, and tingling.
- Disorders of fluid levels and proper metabolism levels.
- Soreness and pain in the lower back and flank area, generally located around the area of the kidneys- may be on one or both side depending on the kidney involved.
- Problems with teeth, urinary functions, mental sharpness, and hearing or vision problems.
- Thinning or loss of hair that is faster or more widespread than normal or premature greying, or hair losing health and vitality- think brittle, dingy, broken.
- Weakness, stiffness, pain, and problems in the joints, particularly in the ankles, knees, hips, hands, and feet.
- Impotence, infertility, and other genetic and biological disorders.
- Loss of vitality and energy levels, sleeping problems such as insomnia, and other health issues including hypertension, blood disorders, cancer, and other diseases.
Those who follow ancient Chinese practitioner’s practices and recommendations believe that poor eating habits, exposure to environmental toxins, poor overall health practices, and some genetic tendencies lead to kidney problems and the associated health problems, including those mentioned above. However, you can strengthen the kidneys and address the symptoms associated with kidney problems . Here’s how.
- Understand that the kidneys are the central hub for most of the body’s major systems and functions and therefore needs to be taken care of each and every day.
- Replenish your kidney with enough fluids like water and ensure you get adequate amounts of vitamins and minerals to maintain healthy kidney functions.
- Consider acupuncture to help balance kidney functions and help relieve symptoms brought on by kidney imbalances.
- Include lots of fresh fruits and veggies, plenty of fiber, and healthy levels of protein and fats.
- Get plenty of exercise to maintain overall health and wellness.
- Positive outlook to your life – stress and anxiety are two big killers of kidney health.
Depending on the extent of the hair loss, the balance of your chi and energy can take a little bit of time to kick in again and reach the right levels for good hair growth. There are many things you can do to boost your hair’s strength and appearance such as watching what you eat, quit smoking, avoid excessive alcohol consumption, and exercise regularly. If you are interested in preserving your hair’s health and appearance and if you feel your kidneys need some balancing or a little help to get back on track, here are six ways to help strengthen it:
- Remember that the kidney is one of the most important systems of the body and that it is also the organ most damaged by stress and other negative influences and stimuli. Getting stress under control is one of the best things you can do to protect your kidney health. Yoga, Tai Qi, meditation, or some hobby or activity that relaxes you are all great ways to reduce stress and protect the kidney.
- The body needs to operate in a harmonious balance with the other systems of the body. Finding the right balance within the body helps improve the health of the kidney and the other systems connected to the kidneys. Aim for a balance of relaxation and exercise, bringing both Ying and Yang principles to balance the body and keep the entire body healthy and strong.
- Beyond finding more positive ways of handling stress, dealing with any fears, concerns, worries, and anger that is in your life is another thing you can do to help further enhance kidney health. If you are fearful, anxious, worried, or depressed, work on dealing with those emotions and thoughts and find ways to balance your thinking and focus on the here and now so your overall health and wellness can improve.
- The physical location of the kidney is your lower back areas on both sides. Stretching and exercises that are designed to target and strengthen your lumbar area help keep your kidneys healthy by strengthening them and offering more support with strong muscles. You can also help to further stimulate your kidneys by getting gentle massages to the area, which helps stimulate blood flow and improves healing and overall kidney functions in most people.
- Foods can be a big contributor to your kidney health, and particularly nourishing foods are the best to include for your kidney. Darker and brighter colored fruits and vegetables are the best! Foods high in water content are also beneficial and water helps keep the kidney hydrated and functioning properly.
- Paying a visit to an acupuncturist can be a big help for overall kidney health as the practice of acupuncture has been used for centuries to treat a range of health concerns. Many doctors and acupuncturists have a number of tools that can help strengthen your kidneys. They also can help suggest diet and lifestyle changes that can further improve your kidney functions and improve your overall health.
With this new understanding of how the kidney’s work and how they impact overall body health, including hair growth and vitality, you can now work on getting the head of hair you always wanted by taking care of your kidneys starting today!
For more information like this, please subscribe to my newsletter.